View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM
FightingFalconI
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: C-172, PA-34

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There is no special requirement to do this, any school or instructor could teach you to be CFII. I suppose a few might hesitate if it's not something they have done before but in thr end I'm sure they would take your money.

The only caveat is that since it is unusual in some locations, some DPE's may not want to do it.
Most schools that do this use the II as a way to send the applicant up for thier first CFI check without having to do it in a complex airplane. Also, since most FSDOs are exercising the right to do the initial CFIs, there is a perception that the Initial CFI as a II is an easier checkride. It is really a way to game the system. No Lazy eights, Chandelles, Turns around a point, pylon eights etc. You know, all those things you need to fly Airliners!

Not true. A non-CFI-airplane CFII could in give instrument instruction to a non-rated student. The CFII would just need to act as PIC of the flight.
Thats what I meant by appropriate category and class (to act as PIC).

Legally he could also give instruction in stalls or other primary maneuvers to a student pilot...the catch is that it is not logable towards aeronautical experience requirements so why bother doing it? Also probably not the safest thing to do if you are not trained adequately.

In fact a private pilot can give instruction, it just doesn't count for aeronautical experience...that's how I learned to fly a taildragger from an old guy who really knew what he was doing. Obviously you have to go to a rated CFI to get any required dual and endorsements but nothing says you can't learn from and practice with any pilot.
I don't think someone who is not a CFI should even think about giving instruction. You may have gotten lucky with the guy who taught you to fly taildraggers. I have seen several students come to me with "instruction" that was not from a CFI and I have to spend additional time unlearning them their bad habits.