View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by GasPasser View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why would they replace the relatively modern T-1 (late 90's era) with the 1960's era T-39?
They aren't.
They went from T-39 Sabreliners to the T-47A (Model 552 says Wiki) Platypus and then back to the T-39s again.
From Wiki:
T-47

Cessna T-47A trainer of the US Navy's TRAWING 6 at Nellis AFB, Nevada, in May 1987

The Model 552 T-47A was the designation given by the U.S. Navy to the Citation II. Fifteen aircraft were purchased by the Navy to train Naval Flight Officers, primarily its Navy F-14 Tomcat Radar Intercept Officers, Navy and Marine Corps A-6 Intruder Bombardier/Navigators, Navy and Marine Corps EA-6B Prowler Electronic Warfare Officers, Marine Corps F/A-18D Hornet Weapon Systems Officers and Navy S-3 Viking Copilot/Tactical Coordinators. The T-47A was modified by incorporating JT15D5 engines, shortened wings, multiple radar consoles and the AN/APQ-159 radar system from the F-14.[4]
The T-47As were operated by Training Air Wing SIX, which was based at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida. All but one of the T-47As were destroyed in a hangar fire, and the Navy replaced them with upgraded T-39s[5] Another version of the Model 552 was the OT-47B "Tracker", five of which were purchased by the Department of Defense for use in drug interdiction reconnaissance operations, based at Maxwell Air Force Base. The OT-47B utilized the F-16's APG-66(V) fire control radar system and the WF-360TL imaging system.[6]
I did NOT know that they were destroyed by fire and that is why the T-39s came back......interesting!

The T-39s are now being phased out and are going to be replaced with the T-1s is how I understand it from some of their pilots. My last contact with the pilots said that they didn't know anything about the cause either.
From Wiki again about the Jayhawk:
The T-1A Jayhawk is a medium-range, twin-engine jet trainer used in the advanced phase of USAF Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training for students selected to fly strategic/tactical airlift or tanker aircraft. It is used also for training Air Force Navigators and Naval Flight Officers in low level flight procedures during the Intermediate Jet phase of training. It replaced the T-39 Sabreliner in the Intermediate phase of NFO training.
I think that quote in the post you queried might have been a mistype. I'm not an NFO - but I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of T-39s REPLACING T-1s for training.

USMCFLYR