Thread: History of Mesa
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by winglet View Post
Most regional pilots owe the Mesa pilots a thank you for doing their part in stopping the proliferation of the alter-ego model .

winglet
Not so fast. I'll give some credit for good results but the freedom vs. scope resolution came about as much by accident as any other factor.

Legal action was pending on the scope issue, which by many accounts would have settled the scope in favor of mag alpa without the need for concessions.

OJ, apparently in a moment of frustration at the formal negotiating table, said facetiously that he would give the pilots scope right now if they gave up a long list of items. He did not expect them to take him up on it, and his council tried to retract the offer immediately. But the NMB guy would not let mag retract an offer made at the formal table...and mag alpa accepted the deal.

Did they really have to? Many folks think the scope issue would have been resolved through other avenues anyway, but I can understand the "bird in the hand" philosophy.

I spent several years living on the assumption that we had done a good thing and would take back some of what was lost next time around. I eventually realized that the odds were mixed at best on that...slightly over half of mag pilots folded when it came down to it.