View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
SpeedyVagabond
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Downwind, headed straight for the rocks, shanghaied aboard the ship of fools.

Originally Posted by NoStep View Post
Oh COME ON!!! What exactly is the "see and avoid" maneuver you recommend when a flock of suicidal geese play "chicken" (pardon the pun) with a jet? On the LaGuardia 1 SID, (Whitestone Climb, I think?)...seriously?

I'm not for deifying Sully (Jeff Skiles was there too), but he did almost as amazing job as United's (Sioux City) Al Haines!!

If you wanted to, just like a drill instructor, you could bust the chops of the sharpest troop out there. The whole point of threads like this is to learn from mistakes others made, compared to others who did it right. Now that's "see & avoid".
I thought that was what we were doing here. I'm taking a lesson away. That lesson is a gentle reminder to keep my peepers where they should be. Scully made an outstanding judgement in accepting his predicament and committing to the river. Many less thoughtful mortals have target fixated on a real runway and crashed and burned as a result. However was that action necessary in the first place? I think there is some merit to that question as those capts you flew with inquired. Climbing out of LGA I can't see the Hudson under my nose. That begs the question where were his eyes? If they had been forward, maybe they would have seen a flock of geese, which are pretty easy to see, as they climbed up into them. Just an objective observation.