View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by enuff View Post
I love the boneheads on here that second guess crews. The irony is they'll never get the chance to make a decision like the American heavy did because they will never reach that "level." Stay right there in your light twin. We are all better off.
A little over the top based on the assumption that everyone who had an input not in line with your way of thinking flies a light twin.

Everyone here who has flown a multi crew aircraft has looked to their left at the CA or to the right at the FO and second guessed their decision. As much as I would like to believe it, not everyone in the seat next to me is Chuck Yeager or necessarily qualified to be there. We all know that to get into that position in aviation merely requires staying in one location long enough without getting fired or furloughed and its an inevitability.

I dont think the crew was in the wrong here, I think they could have handled things a bit different by saying they are min fuel and need IMMEDIATE vectors for priority to the appropriate runway. If that failed then the course of action they chose would be the next logical step. I wasnt there and I do not think they are in the wrong for how they handled things.

With that being said, there were about 6 hours of tape before what we heard so there could be a lot of missing pieces in there.