View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:58 PM
johnnysnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: BEECH 1900 PIC

[quote=Tchinson;808699]
Originally Posted by 727gm View Post

Yes, you are correct 727gm, which brings up my next question. Many people say a CFI without an MEI can give a Flight Review in a multi-engine aircraft or a CFII can give say instrument instruction in a multi-engine aircraft if the person they are giving training to is already multi-rated. I disagree with this though as I interpret 61.195(b)(1) as putting the brakes on this one:

(b) Aircraft Ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating; and
(2) If appropriate, a type rating.

I'm just kind of curious as to how other people interpret this one?
I don't know about a flight review in a Multi-Engine airplane as a CFI ASEL. I would say that that is a no-go, but I'll leave that one for some one else. As far as instrument instruction or IPCs in a multi-engine airplane by a CFII without an MEI, the answer is certainly yes. Of course, you must hold at least a multi commercial to exercise that privilege. Look on the back of your certificate and you will see that it says "Flight Instructor-Airplane Single Engine, Instrument Airplane". The Flight Instructor Instrument rating gives you instrument instructor privileges in any airplane that you have commercial privileges for. In short, "Instrument Airplane" covers the entire Category of Airplane and there for falls within the parameters of 61.195(b)(1). Proof of that is the fact that the CFII can not only be the first instructor certificate you hold, but also the only instructor certificate you hold. In addition, the CFII as the initial instructor check ride can be done in either a single engine airplane or a multi engine airplane, and when you receive your ticket it will say, "Flight Instructor-Instrument Airplane". But don't take my word for it; just go ask your local FSDO. But remember to ask if it's legal, not whether they would advise it or not.

Last edited by johnnysnow; 05-09-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling