Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 AM
winglet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I would be strongly opposed to eliminating the title Regional from these forums. The forum structure is designed to be user friendly and easy to navigate (we hope), not to make a political statement.

Newcomers would be very confused.

I don't really have an issue with adding the word "Contract"..ie "Regional/Contract Airlines" but this could cause confusion too..we would get people interested in contract flying jobs for foreign airlines.

The industry term is "Regional"...how it evolved is not too important but we are not going to be able change it unilaterally. You guys think RAA is going to change their name to "CAA"?

"Fee-For-Departure" airlines might be a little clearer, but even that term is becoming less relevant as contract terms evolve into more risk-sharing.

rickair7777,

As others have said, the term is inaccurate, misleading and has already been politicized by airline managements and industry advocacy groups. I challenge you to de-politicize this type of flying by using a more adequate term.

By calling the outsourced flying that represents more that 50% of domestic flying "regional" is a damaging misnomer. Since "Mainline" is now "feeding" the outsourced airlines, maybe a revision of terminology is in order. "Mainline" pilots and outsourced/scoped/contract pilots would primarily agree that the nomenclature needs to be revised. This "R" word needs to go away along with the other terms mentioned previously (commuter, feeder, etc). Many of these airlines have aircraft up to 86 seats and cover the Arctic to the Tropics. The term does a disservice to the industry, the public and the media. People need to know what company is operating the aircraft they are purchasing a ticket on.

I'll agree that "contract" flying may be confusing to some but not nearly as misleading and confusing as the current term. "Fee for Departure" won't work because not all of these types of companies operate on the disappearing fee-for-departure contracts.

Whenever I hear the word, I mention that it is a misnomer. If enough of us let people know the facts, we can eventually persuade others not to use it either. Let's brainstorm and come up with a term that accurately describes the type of flying that this sector represents. How about seat-scoped airlines, or outsourced airlines, etc?

Like the Government said, "Regionals are the Mainline". Since outsourced airlines are the ones being fed, just change this forum title to Domestic Mainline and the Mainline forum to Domestic Mainline Feeders .

winglet

Last edited by winglet; 05-30-2010 at 01:57 PM.