View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Whacker77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: CFI

Originally Posted by HSLD View Post
Thanks for posting the follow-up, i wasn't aware of the change.

I suppose this will lead to the ethical debate of after 5 years following an accident, how does a pilot answer on an application or in an interview: " have you ever been involved in an aircraft accident or incident? "
It's an interesting question and one I think deserves a good and honest debate.

Let's say a private pilot is involved in an accident at 20 years of age. He continues to fly and at the age of 35 decides to change careers and become a pilot. If that person has a CFI and 2000 hours, is an event 15 years in the past relevant? I would say no, but I understand why other would say yes.

Let's say an ATP is involved in an accident while flying for a regional. Ten years later the ATP applies for a job at a major. Is that accident relevant? In this case, I would be more inclined to say yes because the accident occured in 121 flying and the ATP is looking to move to a larger form of 121 flying. It shouldn't be a non-starter though.

It's one of those instances where the legal and the ethical may not be the same. My conscience would get the best of me though. Having said that, some regionals outright reject applicants if an accident has occured the past.