View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Eric Stratton
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Vito
Remember this when we're talking about how the LCC's have changed the rules of the game, etc etc...Southwest is a LCC, Yet their pilots are paid very well, so flying for a LCC doesn't automatically equate with sub-standard pay. Also another important point to consider, Last time I flew to London, Rome, Instanbul, Tokyo and Sydney, I never saw a Southwest 737. There will be a place for the legacy carriers in the future, and hopefully instead of gloating, about how their salaries are diminishing, we can all be proud when their salaries increase. A rising tide lifts all boats.....
Don't forget that they are only one of the LCC's. The rest are pretty poor if you look at the pay, especially FO. When the tide does rise where will the new boats fall into play? Will Virgin America fall in line or lower the bar again?
It seems like it's going 1 step forward followed by 2 steps back.

If southwest hadn't hedged their fuel wouldn't they be losing money just like the majors? I know they do just about everything better than the rest but isn't this the one thing that has actually saved them?