View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Zapata
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 747 FO

Originally Posted by OldSF3Dude View Post
Zapata,

No doubt that a pilot doesn't have to have a degree to do the everyday functions of the job. A guy could probably get by with 8th grade level reading and math.

But, being a professional airline pilot is more than the mechanical functions of operating an airplane. It's about interacting with and understanding the people and world around us. It's also about leadership and judgement.
This interaction and understanding of people and the world around us doesn't take a degree. Nor does leadership and judgment.
John Adams (age 25) said, "I must judge for myself, but how can I judge, how can any man judge, unless his mind has been opened and enlarged by reading (a general/liberal education)."
Airline pilots aren't judges, moral or otherwise. It's not part of the job description. I don't think Adams was talking about judgment in decision making in regard to flying professionally.
I think this is why the military requires their officers to have a degree as well. A degree is a big part of what seperates officers from NCOs. Those who sit in judgement from those who do not.
What? NCO's don't have judgment? Anyway, the airlines are not the military. There is zero similarity or necessity for a comparative rank structure and no need for such separation. Again, professional pilots are not judges. We continually develop and have judgment (big difference), but that doesn't require or even favors having a degree.

That's not to say I don't think a pilot without a 4 year degree can't be a "professional" pilot. But, I do think a degree is a indicator of if a person has what it takes or not.
Which is it? You're contradicting yourself. BTW; I have flown with pilots without a degree that more than "has what it takes", even more so than some with a degree.

As for my highlights in red, most "educated" people would know of these common and simple spelling errors. I am not normally a grammar nazi. However, if I were taking such an elitist stance and thumping the bible of education, I would make sure that I can at least live up to the standards to which I am preaching.