View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Soyathink
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Soyathink,

You have certainly got to be kidding with your above-mentioned comments. It is not a unions job to promote the company for which its members work. It's their job to represent its members in establishing work rules, benefits, etc, and to intercede on behalf of their members when disagreements arise between the company and its workers.

Then why don't you see press releases of IPA jobs coming to Alaska? Just saying Hostile actions get hostile results. Thats both sides.

You seem to have a misconception of what employees' responsibilities are. As well, you seem to not understand that anything an employee does, above and beyond his or her job description, is usually done because the company has earned some degree of goodwill, and the employee, feeling good about the company, decides to perform tasks, outside of their job description. You say you want employees to promote the company? How can you expect this when your company treats its employees like sh!t. No, UPS has never been known as an employee oriented company, instead, it's known, throughout the world as a company that only values the work effort of its employees, while continuing to monitor their every work moment. Why else, as an example, would your air division, with about 2800 pilots, need a staff of over 200 managers?

I can say you have the same mentality regarding employers. Didn't you use to be UPS before FDX? I might be wrong. The employer has no responsibilty to the employee except a paycheck. I won't go do the FDX IC road here. If there is no work then layoffs happen. In your paragraph above all one would have to do is change company or UPS to employee, and Employee to company or UPS. It goes both ways.

While I can almost understand your devotion to UPS, I don't understand why you can't grasp the concept of cause and effect. When things were going well for UPS, your pilots who posted here, for the most part, had really nothing but good things to say about their company. However, now that UPS has decided to furlough, you don't seem to understand why your pilots have turned so negative. This, after they voluntarily gave so much back to the company. From what I've seen here, your company was doing nothing more than manipulating its workers, to reduce its immediate costs, while all the time knowing that it intended to furlough. And just by the way, UPS is not the only company that acts in a deceitful manner. Last year, FedEx instituted a contract clause called 4.A.2.b, which caused our pilots to give up perhaps over 20% of their expected pay. As should have been anticipated, the company lost tons of goodwill, and it will take years for some, while others will never forget what the company did. And that was just loss of some pay. In your case, guys have LOST THEIR JOBS.

I do understand cause and effect. I understand business too. I understand the loss of a job. I also understand that the entire thing goes both ways. A **** poor attitude + a **** poor attitude = a **** poor attitude. Imagine if it was the other way around?.

As well, you seem to think that it's because of IPA that the working environment there at UPS "sucks." My question to you is: are you serious? The work environment at UPS has sucked since way back when, and since you say you worked there, I can assume that you actually know that. However, since, you say, you were a manager, I can only assume that the working conditions for your workers is quite different from your managers. Are your hub workers still not allowed to take a bathroom break during their shift? Are your workers still ignored when they come to management with a good idea? No, UPS has never been a company whose employees say good things about, with the single exception of "the pay is really good." That's a tremendous plus, however, beyond pay, there's not much to rave about.

I never said I worked at UPS I see The IPA press releases bashing UPS but don't see the UPS press releases bashing the IPA. Never said it was the IPA's fault in the entire situation. Never said UPS has no blame in the situation. I'm saying that blame is shared and giving proof not Crew Bus rumour or I flew with this guy that said. I do know first hand how difficult the work environment is. My dad has been shot at. Seen plenty of trucks shot up. I saw two suicides of people I've known there. Imagine being a FQS. You are getting heat from above that you need to do more then you are getting heat from below that you don't do enough. A big Turd sandwich I wouldn't want that pressure. You as an employee are always going to be pushed for more no matter where you are. In sports if you don't continue to do better every season your cut. My case I blew out a knee in college. I wasn't coddled. They just said next. It's like that everywhere. Just at UPS is worse because the union and the company are always positioning themselves to get one up on the other in negotiations. I honestly was surprised UPS was working with the IPA to try and prevent furloughs. Typically in UPS that would have never happened. Have you ever had to let somebody go? It is an terrible experience.

There's so many other discrepancies in your posts that one could write a book about them, however I've more important things to do right now, like clean out the lint filter on my dryer.

Is there really? Care to disprove other than what you've heard on your fancy purple crew bus? If you had more importants thing like pick the lint out of your belly button then why did you even reply .

JJ
Soyathink Responses in Red

Last edited by Soyathink; 07-08-2010 at 07:35 AM.