View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
mshunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

Originally Posted by Burlcfii View Post
i guess what MS wants is for us to just not get a job. MS im not saying PFT is the way to go, but what you don't know is there are no flying jobs out there, and this includes flight instructing jobs. For some of us who are tired of working in non-aviation jobs, and are ready to fly for a living PFT is looking like the only option. When a instructor has over 500 hrs of dual given and sends out resumes to 5 flight schools and recieves no response, that should tell you something. For some people the only option is to wait for the market to change (god knows when that will happen) or PFT weather it be eagle jet, or buying a block in a seneca. If i was to do this (which i dont think i am) it wouldn't be paid by mommy and daddy it would be a @$$ busting loan that took years to pay off. Its obvious you broke into the market when jobs were plentiful, so don't bust on others who took the only option available to them. Anyone who wishes bad on other pilots gives the industry a worst rap than those who PFT.

Every aviation job I have had has been in this market. And it has happened one of two ways. Either from connections, or from putting a face to a resume. Most employers (even non-aviation) will look at a resume sent via e-mail as something that goes in the round file. I got the job I am working at right now two months ago. I finished up my ratings a little over two years ago, WHEN THE AIRLINES WERE FURGHLOUGHING LIKE CRAZY. You have to pound the pavement and make contacts. It has always been that way unless you fly for an airline, and even then a contact helps out huge. The only reason I got my first job as a flight instructor was because I was persistant. I was in there once a week for a month, and called the chief pilot a few times a week for the same time frame. Perserverance. What makes you think you'll be anymore competitive after you PFT and have 1200tt than someone who did it the traditional way who has the same turbine time, but another 2500TT? Because trust me, there is TONS of those guys on the street right now. Why do you think your resume has been looked past?

As for wishing bad on those who PFT. I wish this because this is the reason why wages have come down so much. PFT is destroying a once good career. Why would you pay someone for a job that they would happily pay for. The only reason that most airlines don't do it as well is because of unions. Do you want to have to pay for working for someone for 2-5 years as an FO so you can make $30k as a captian? Because thats what PFT will lead this industry into. People just don't get it.

Edit: Am I the exception. No. I am the rule. Why do I say that. Because I still do it the traditional way, by meeting people, and doing the right thing, as in earning everything I have right now, not buying my way into the right/left seat of anything I have ever flown. Employers see that, and understand that I will not try and short cut them, or use them for a fw months to get to that next step. I flight instructed for seven days a week for two years to make it here. Now, I am salary, work a few days a week, na dhelp out in the office/with maint. and make extra money for doing that. If the PFT guys had an ounce of self respect and didn't have such a "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude, then maybe the regionals would pay more than poverty wages and I'd have considered a 121 career.

Last edited by mshunter; 07-09-2010 at 08:37 AM.