View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 AM
acl65pilot
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

Originally Posted by coryk View Post
Sorry, I know this isn't the right forum, but I know it is the most viewed. I just separated from the Navy in May and I have full benefits under the post 9/11 Gi Bill. ERAU is within the benefit cap for the state of Florida, which is about $62,000 a semester (including the summer). So therefore I can go for the entire 4 years, which in my case would have to be 3 straight years of school and all associated ratings for free under the 9/11 gi bill.

I know Riddle gets a bad rap, but is it because it is so expensive? Or something else? If you could go for free and receive a monthly living stipend would you? I currently have a PPL and right around 100 hours of flight time. How quickly could I get my comm-me and CFI ratings?

Thanks for any opinions or comments!

Cory

It is not Riddle that gets the bad rap, it is the attitude of the product it produces. I went there and most of the ppl I went with though that they were head and shoulders better than the other flight farms.

That said, if you can go there for free, do it. It is a good education. It has a great reputation, and will open doors for you with its internship department. I also suggest a degree with Business or the like in it. A aeronautics degree is great, but it is better to have a back up. I also suggest the one extra class for a dispatchers license.

Their flight like is actually a seprate corporation, but it appears to work seamlessly with the university. Also, their training is great. Just understand that you can go in with all of your basic ratings and save a ton of money. It is not cheap to get a Private, MEL, Commercial, Instrument there. You can get credit for that somewhere else and not pay the money. Now if they will cover the total cost, do it. Just understand that a SAT is a SAT and a FAA License is the same no matter where you get it.