View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Wuzzo View Post
One of the USAF departures at high-speed (for a T-6) a few years back jumped a berm, nosed into the ground, and the crew walked. If you're going to flip or hit something big, maybe, but if we're talking a straight run into flat grass at something under highway speeds, it's a bit extreme.
Sounds like they were very lucky. I don't doubt the T-6 is capable of handling grass, but you just never know if there is a hole out there that your gear will inevitably find.

Had a sim instructor tell me a story of him going offroading in a THUD in Vietnam. Was riding along in the back to get experience up north and had to divert for battle damage. They took the midfield cable (by accident, weren't familiar with F4 bases having a mid field cable) at very high speed, which ripped the tail hook off. Went off the runway, the nose broke off at the front cockpit killing the pilot, leaving the him there with his feet dangling out the front of the jet, where the cockpit divider used to be.....that was enough to make my decision for me.

I'll bet the risk of riser burn, cuts from the canopy fracture, and messed up ankle/leg from a poor PLF outweighs the bumps you might get in a runway excursion.
I'm not willing to make that bet!

But with a MB or ACES II seat under you, when in doubt, get out. If you're in the envelope, you're going to live.
Corrected that for ya!

BTW, a solo student went off the end of the RWY at Vance earlier this year and punched also. Airplane rolled into the grass a couple hundred feet and stopped.
Which may happen 9 times out of 10, but with my luck I would be that 10% statistic. I guess I tend to think worst case on this situation. I would hate to be stuck upside down, and on fire, wishing I had my 9mm with me...

BTW, read that report...pretty interesting.