View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Ewfflyer
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Gajre539 View Post
In my experience and opinion, there is no consistent way to evaluate a BFR. Every flight review and every student will be different. If you feel comfortable knowing that the student is not going to violate any regulations or cause any damage to people/property and has demonstrated the abilities of being a safe, proficient and competent pilot, you have done what you can as a CFI to give him/her a sign off for a flight review.
Took the words right out of my mouth. How's this one, I just did a BFR for a father/son team in a C210T, they had just had some new avionics(Aspen PFD) installed a month or so ago, and were still learning it. The dad is 80yrs old btw, and he's still got it, although you can tell age is creeping up on him.

Overall, my BFR's are somewhat of a PPL ride. I tell folks I don't expect them to meet the criteria, but I'm looking for judgement and average skill that should pass a ride. I expect knowledge of their airframe, and want them to be able to describe anything/everything I ask of it(mainly owners of aircraft). The regs, I just try to update folks on what's happened in the last few years, because most likely this could be the only time they actually pay attention to what's going on out there.

Just remember the option to only sign it off as dual-given is an option, and so far I've been lucky enough I haven't had to do that. One thing for sure though, is if you take that route, you need to be sure to finish out the lesson on what that means, just because your signature is in there, doesn't mean the BFR is complete, and they must recieve additional training etc..etc.. before you can sign it off officially.

My #1 rule is CYA!!!!!