View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 AM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

Thanks everyone for your insightful perspective. Yes, even you SkyHigh. I started the thread because I felt the pessimism was just too pervasive, and I know aviation, or life in general, is not like that. As human beings, we need to be validated. I am not suggesting that everyone walk around with blinders and never listen to other people's opinions. I, for one, am always pushing for every person to make an informed decision. Not everyone is hit with the proverbial lightning bolt at age 10 and sustain a lifelong desire to be a pilot. Most of us will do what we need to do, make a few mistakes along the way, and move on with life. Where we end up depends on our own innate abilities and the sweat we are willing to put into it.

Please allow me a personal anecdote. Long before going to law school, I had a very successful career in medical research. The work I did back then was pioneering and groundbreaking; nobody in the world had done what we did until we did it. Today, that procedure is considered routine in pediatric otolaryngology. They were exciting days. Restless, I decided to go into the law. For me, this is just another way of service and I think I have done well. Law school was difficult and it weeded out a lot of people who were unwilling to put in the work required. I knew I wanted my ticket punched so I could get on the ride. So I spent more time at the law library than anyone else.

All along the way, I have kept a positive attitude. Perhaps it is because I am older and, I hope, a little wiser, but I always believe life is good. Life is like a plant - if you water it and take care of it, flowers will bloom. It is what I call a "Return On Investment." There will be deviations and speed bumps, but the journey is well worth it. Trust me.