View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

It is a very cutthroat industry Skygirl. I've worked in it for a short time (four years) but in that time I've seen the best and worst of it. This forum is just a commentary of what I've heard echoed from pilots every day. I saw a ton of bitter pilots who were once with the legacies that were flying charter in small jets, very unhappy. They blamed everything that you've heard here.

One thing they consistiently forgot was that this industry is very, very dynamic. There have been a ton of changes in the last 10 years. The internet, RJs, terrorism, fuel prices, etc. Those who survive are those that can adapt, just like in life.

One of the things that I, as a young, idealistic guy who's trying to follow his dream, is most distraught about is how fast we as pilots are willing to point the finger at the other guy. This airline is lowering the bar, that airline is a bunch of scabs and so on. My theory on this, much like anything else is simple: You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution. Speak up, fight for this once proud profession. We aren't bus drivers like so many think. We move 10 times faster, in machines that weigh 10 times more and don't kill a lot fewer people in a year than Greyhound ever will. Like it or not, it is very specialized, and not anybody can do it. Things aren't going to change until we WORK TOGETHER.