View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post
I won't argue with the "better to be safe than sorry" ideas, I completely agree. Just doing a little hanger flying is all. getting into the nitty gritty, if you will.

Now, My interpretation of a XC flight is to go from one place to another. hence the requirement to land, regardless of distance from starting point. (it's kinda manditory that one take-off requires at least one landing)

For training for the PPL, Comm, or Inst, the point is not to go somewhere and log landings. The point is to be able to navigate to another airport, (a point of landing) not some randomly chosen city or road intersection.

But, in any case, I conceed. As usual, nobody should ever take my advice on anything. Ever.
I agree with the landing part as previously mentioned, but a x/c in my mind does require some distance to be involved. I was recently flying out of NAS Jacksonville. When taking off to the west, you can immediately see the former NAS Cecil Field. In my mind - I could not call it a CROSS COUNTRY if I took off from KNIP and flew 10 miles to KVQQ and did a landing. As far as filling out apps, I guess it can be tricky, but at least the rules and regulations can be used as a guide for determining the proper criteria. I started a column in my logbook when I started down the road for the ATP. I ended up using a method more restrictive for logging my time. Now that I don't have to worry about that anymore - I still keep the column going, but I use my own criteria for logging x/c time which is a distance greater than 50 nm AND a landing.

USMCFLYR