View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
AtlCSIP
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left
Default Ground time a must

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
But don't you agree AtlCSIP that many of the things learned within the depths of the avionics have little to do with actually flying the airplane, therefore are wasted learning them while actually in the airplane flying?
I could see having quite a few hours of ground instruction, simulator time (on the computer like the Garmin sims on-line) or even sitting in the cockpit with power applied, but I don't need to be airborne for much of this and could put it to use during flights where I am actually learning the intricacies of the airplane itself.

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR,

The syllabus requires about 8 hours of ground, which I do with each student. I also plug the aircraft into ground power and have the student touch every button and knob, and go through every layer of functionality on every piece of equipment, but it usually doesn't sink in very deeply. On top of that, most of the transition students have never flown as fast as the Cirrus will fly, have a difficult time pulling the power out when they should, and are behind on their descent planning. All of this results in cockpit confusion during the arrival phase of the flight. (Understand that we are talking about the typical transitioning student, not the typical professional pilot!) Add to that the fact that you actually need to use the rudders on this aircraft for crosswind landings, and that it is not as forgiving as most single engine, 4 place aircraft, and you end up with students consitently behind the airplane. Compound that with the fact that the course requires a command of the automation for completion, which is generally the first time most of these pilots have had to fly and manage systems at the same time. It really is a different animal from most other aircraft in the same category and class.

If you get to Atlanta, PM me. I'll show you.