Thread: Hood time
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 PM
alfadog1
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2010

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
I'm sure alfa was using right seat and left seat generically and not suggesting that the flying pilot always has to be on the left and the safety pilot on the right. That's just where they usually are and is not an FAA requirement (certain aircraft excepted - but they will have information in the limitations section about that). There may be club or insurance rules, though.
Hi. Is this case, I was cautioning the OP to check with his club rules regarding who can be PIC and where the PIC must sit. In my club, PIC must sit left seat and the aircraft must be flown from the left seat. Exceptions for training with club CFI's, of course. Another club had a clarification in their rules that the intent is that only a club member can be PIC of the club airplane (see the quote below from that club's rules).

Other than that I was saying that the FARs do not care what seat the safety pilot and hood pilot sit in so long as appropriate dual controls (or throwover controls) exist at both seats.

2. Pilot Eligibility:
A. Only a Club member may operate a Club aircraft.
B. A Club member shall be Pilot-In-Command ("PIC") of Club aircraft at all times.
1. The PIC shall occupy the left front seat. Only a Club approved instructor may fly or instruct from the right seat and be PIC.
2. Authorization to operate a Club aircraft as PIC from other than the normal solo/PIC position will be considered only for members actively engaged in preparation for an Instructor Rating.
4. The PIC status of a member during the scheduled period of use must be indisputable. In this regard, a licensed or unlicensed non-member is not permitted to occupy the left front seat. (The purpose of Pilot Eligibility Rules is to ensure that the responsibility for a Club aircraft as may be determined by FAR would never be with a non-member)