Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
captfurlough
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Red face

Married twice. First one a disaster. My head so far up my rear I needed an "Oppenndecktomy", where a plate glass window is installed in your belly so you can see out.

Second time....well, been married for 26 years now. I've come to cherrish her as the special person she is. Been through a lot of living together, some good, some bad, ....mostly good. But we're partners for life...and I think that's what being married is all about....life partners. You have to work at it, it doesn't just happen because you were in lust at one point in your life. It's true what they say...it really does get better with time, and you can fall more deeply in love.

I'm no expert, but IMHO too many people think that if they marry they can preserve or capture the relationship they have for life. That usually doesn't work...you both will change and grow, and the very circumstances of your lives will change. As a marraige matures, it changes into a deeper commitment to eachother to perservere through whatever comes your way, facing life as a team. (I was very fortunate to have parents who were not divorced...they showed us what love is and taught us by their actions, even in life's most difficult days.)

I've flown with a lot of guys getting divorced....and it's never pretty and always more than painful. No one really wins...the best possible outcome is a chance to start over, and I'm glad I had the chance.

Life's best to all of you....