View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: 320B

Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
Well, there you go making stuff up. I was trying to point out that the same attorneys that you accuse of failing us, also helped us negotiate the best contract in history. Where do you come off saying I said it was too much? Do you just make this stuff up?

Here is how you justify a 42% paycut. You have a company that loses massive amounts of money 6 years in a row and goes bankrupt. The country has voted for the last 30 years for a government that primarily views labor as a speed bump for management and has passed laws and appointed officials highly slanted away from labor and towards management. Bankruptcy court has become a rubber stamp for management to reject contracts and take away labor's right to strike. It's sort of like giving me St. Mary's prep football team and asking me to take on the Saints. There's no victory there, you can only hope to staunch the bleeding.

That's how you justify a 42% paycut. Every other union, every other labor group, every other airline faced basically the same thing. Southwest management made a gigantic gamble on the future of oil prices and that gamble hit the lotto 1,000 times over. Because of that gamble, SWAPA, who by the way employs the same tactics and strategy of DALPA, has been completely insulated from the devastation of the last decade due to this brilliant (and lucky) move from their management. List out the CEO's of the big 6 airlines in 2001 and tell me how many of those guys are still working in the industry.
I don't think you can say that one the up side we got a great contract because of great negotiating and counsel yet the downside was due to a rotten economy. I have a much easier time believing that the majority of it all was the economy and really pattern bargaining. Each carrier leapfrogging the next and setting a new benchmark. During your contract 2000, hadn't the company been making substantial profits and realizing quite a bit of growth? I am not sold on the idea that your record pay rates were due to the outstanding legal team employed, but I could be wrong.