Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Why don't they just be more selective with the hiring process?
They are in current compliance with Federal regualtions. The Feds need to up the requirements - not the airlines. I mean you don't voluntarily offer to pay more for gas at the pump do you?

Surely you can have a more effective hiring process without creating another stumbling block for people who want to do this job for a living.
Well this "stumbling block" that you see now will look a lot different when you are further along in the business I'm sure.

With a coming pilot shortage, this very well could be a huge problem for the industry.
IF you are a believer in a coming TRUE PILOT SHORTAGE, then there isn't much that can be said to dissuade you from your opinion that somebody (or some advertising) had planted into your head before others with different views got to influence you. I guess you will just have to read, watch, and learn and reevaluate your opinions at a later time.

The 1500 hour and ATP requirement was a knee-jerk reaction to the Buffalo accident was it not? The public "demanded change" the system and rightly so. In our haste, is it possible we didn't look at the negative consequences that this might have?
Many would say that it was the FINAL STRAW type of incident that finally broke that poor camel's back, not a reaction to a single incident. If you think that the government is quick enough to react to a single event like that then we wouldn't be in the situation we are in concerning MANY different areas today.

Why not focus on crew fatigue or minimum pilot pay at the regional airlines? How about regional airlines training programs?
I believe that I have read on this forum that very issues have been brought to the attention of the policy makers for - - - let's say 20+ years? Since deregulation maybe? I'm not sure. I'm still learning about this civil aviation business myself.

Well that's my humble opinion and its subject to change. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle and someone can fill me in.
Enjoy APC and peruse the forums! They are full of great information - bias and unbias. Just make sure and run all of the proffered information through your own filter and do some of your own research and I'm sure that things will be more and more clear for you. ENJOY!

USMCFLYR

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 09-27-2010 at 05:56 PM.