View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
A good friend of mine interviewed with SWA twice. On the first, the focus of the interview turned to the 737 rating. During the later, HR literally told him that he was wasting their time showing up for the interview a second time without the type rating. Maybe things have changed, I sure hope the have.
If I were your friend, at that interview, and the HR guy told me "why are you wasting our time showing up for the interview without the type rating", I might have lost it and asked him "why are you wasting MY time. After all, you knew I didn't have the type rating when YOU invited me back to re-interview." If that's what really happened, what a bunch of jerks SWA must have in their Human Resources department.

Originally Posted by HSLD View Post
A 737 type rating is no longer required to interview at SWA. If you have a good interview, you'll get a job offer that's conditional on obtaining the type (at your own expense).

This is a huge benefit for those that don't have a 737 type, but do have the experience to be a viable candidate. Applicants are no longer required to fill a very expensive square in order to get an interview.
So it's your opinion that once you're offered a job at SWA, the fact that you have to get the 737 type rating on your own dime, is not actually paying for your flight training? Seems to me that all SWA has done is allowed guys who, for whatever reason, didn't make the cut, to not waste a small fortune on a type rating that will only be of value at SWA. That's sooooooo big of them. I hope they can afford it. In fairness, it bugs me no end that FedEx charges applicants a fee to apply for a job. That stinks too, just to a much lesser degree.