View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Tristanstar View Post
Hello all,

I have been active in aviation all my life whether it was just dreaming about it or living it. I completed my private pilots certificate in April 2004. From there I attended Oklahoma State University and completed a Bachelor's in Aviation Science June of 2009. I'm currently Flight Instructing in Nebraska. As much as I love my students and Instructing, that's not where I ultimately want to be. My end goal has always been Corporate flying. I'm currently receiving training to be SIC in a KA90 (yes I know it's under 12.5, we have that ironed out as well). I'm hoping my SIC checkride goes well. With this all in mind though, I'd still like to keep my options open and if I had the opportunity to fly for the airlines or my goals changed, I'd like to be able to take advantage of it. I have 900 TT, 23 ME, and about 5 hours actual (80 simulated). I understand I have a lot to work on but what would be your recommendation of where to start if I decided to go the airline route?

Thanks,
Tristar
Tristanstar -

Hello from a fellow OSU graduate of the Aviation Program. Are the 'Flying Aggies' still alive and kicking?

I had the same aspirations as you it seems. I always saw myself in a corporate flight department or doing gov't flying after I got out of the military. No doubt that either road is long as full of set-backs as you will learn from the experience on this forum.

It certainly seems to be a truth that it is more important WHO you know than WHAT you know when dealing with the corporate side of aviation especially; so if you haven't started yet, it isn't to early to start networking!

Enjoy your training in the KA90 and make the most of any opportunity that comes of it. I'm starting training in a KA myself in a few months.

As far as information about the pros and cons of airline flying-vs-corporate flying, this forum is full of advice (always tempered with your own judgment and filter) and a wealth of knowledge. Almost any question that is on your mind right now has been discussed in depth before, so I encourage you to use the search function and type in some keywords and read the threads. Hopefully that will lead you to some more specific questions that address your particular concerns.

Good luck in the future.

USMCFLYR