View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 AM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
All other things being equal 9 hours will probably be more fatiguing than 8, but this is only part of the equation. The other, and equally important part is the length of your duty day.

For me personally, 8 hours of hard flight time during the day 0800 -2200 is not limiting. I would much rather fly 9 or even up to 10 hours of hard time if all the other variables were tightly controlled Say at least 12 hours rest prior, two legs maximum, extended rest on the back end, circadian rhythm based etc. To me this has always been much less demanding than 6 or 7 hours of hard time with 3 or 4 legs and a sit thrown in on a 15 duty day.

Other Pilots might feel that 8 hours is their limit - that is fine, everyone is wired differently. I guess the rule should be viewed as superior by a solid majority of Pilots and backed by science - we will never get something that every one thinks is an improvement.

The one thing that ALPA should ensure is that whatever rule changes they back do not allow the company to run leaner regarding pilots. These proposed rule changes are very complicated and could really hose us over if we are not careful. Logic would dictate that any improvement in crew duty/crew rest would require more, vice less pilots, but this wouldn't be the first time that Lucy pulled the football out from under us.

I have heard guys say the FAA limits are still in place so we are protected. Not true, most DAL pilots do not even come close to the quarterly and annual FAA minimums. So we could be burned with new rules under the same FAA limits.

I have heard other say that we have contractual protections in place that would protect us. Well maybe we do now, but it would obviously be up for discussion in contracts talks.

Scoop

Tent
Camel's Nose