View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by stbloc View Post
Whats the point. isn't the great shortage about to begin? in 08 anyone with certificate was hired. what makes the round any different?
Hired by whom? Bottom-feeder regionals? I wouldn't consider that a career-destination job...especially since they may not be around for your entire career.

I honestly believe that 07-08 was a fluke and that we will probably not see that kind of feeding frenzy again in the foreseeable future. That was caused by combined major hiring, which drove regional attrition, and regional growth.

Regional growth is pretty much over with, unless our industry has a major paradigm shift. In fact there may be a paradigm change if mainline pilots finally hold the line on scope, but that will result in regional contraction, and possibly the elimination of many.

The vast majority of turbojet pilots (airline and corporate) have college degrees...without one you are handicapping yourself in the best of times, and taking yourself out of the running when things are not so hot.

If you're already here I'm not telling you to go get a degree, that depends on your situation. But if you are just starting out, don't even think about until you have a plan for college.