View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
msoultan
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2010

From the route you have, it looks like you will be passing through R2503 A and D. 2503A only goes up to 2000'. Im not a RW pilot, only have about 10hrs in a R22, and I know you guys like to fly low, but if you can get up above 2000, then you dont have to worry about that one. 2503D is only active 'intermittent by notam' so call a briefer prior to make sure there is no notam for it, and you should be fine.
Ok, so when it says "intermittent by notam", that means it's intermittently HOT when there is a notam... and otherwise it's cold? The language isn't particularly clear.

Otherwise, use the frequency provided to call up and ask.
If it comes down to this, that's what I'll do. What I want to avoid was getting there and then having them tell me I can't go through and then having to turn back. Is there any way to get in touch with LA Center or socal tracon over the phone?

Are you getting flight following? If so, center will advise you if its 'Hot' or 'Cold'.
I have never done flight following yet so I was just going to fly it normally on the way there and then try using flight following on the way back just so I start getting accustomed to the ATC services available. I just didn't want to have to rely on flight following should they not be able to accommodate me for one reason or another. In other words, I want to force myself to make these calls and not necessarily rely on a service that might not always be available to me.