View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Trip7
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
You guys will want Dual Qual. It greatly enhances YOUR schedule flexibility and QOL. Of course you should have appropriate rates for each aircraft, with a blended rate used ONLY for vacation, training, etc. It also makes your company more efficient, just in case anyone plans on sticking around for the long-term.

It's not a safety problem IMO. Airbus and B75/76 drivers have been doing this for longer than we have...

But watch out for super-senior types...they will want no DQ so they can lock in the best rate for themselves, and apply it to all non-flight pay as well. Leaving junior folks to suck it up on a disproportionally lower rate on the 200 of course.
100% Agreed. Well said.

Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
Just want to point out that Pinnacle, Mesaba, and Comair do not have dual qual.

Let's say we do entertain dual qual. Under what conditions would we accept these terms? I would need the blended rate to be heavily in favor of the larger aircraft. Any other ideas? The way I see it, dual qual is a concession on the part of the pilots because of the reduced staffing. Do we really want to reduce our staffing requirements even more than what PBS will accomplish?

Under the right conditions, I'd vote in favor of dual qual. It's not about the airplane itself, as I'm not even a 700 driver anymore, but the quality of life issues. Example, I'd lose quite a bit of seniority in my seat should we move to dual qual, as would most 200 captains. No bueno, which is why I'd want za blended rate favoring the 700. There are other issues that concern me, but I'll wait until I don't have to fight with my retarded phone to continue.

What else do you guys want in the JCBA?
I stand corrected on the we're the only one that flies it separately statement.

Like others have stated, I believe your QOL will most likely improve with dual qual due to increased schedule flexibility. Imagine being able to fly a United 200 trip with long overnights in Chicago or NYC one week then flying a 700/900 trip the next week with a long Toronto or Key West? The schedules will just be able to get that much better.

As far a payrate, the pilot group should absolutely not accept a "Brad Holt Override" for Dual Qual. I am strongly in favor of a blended payrate based on a percentage ratio of 200 to 700/900 aircraft. The new JCBA 200 payrate used in the blended payrate should be at least what current 700/900 pay is and the new JCBA 700/900 rates higher than the 200 JCBA rate.

Of course payrates is just a small part of the picture as other contractual issues like recurrent checkride switcheroos between 200 and 700/900 will have to accounted for