View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
DeadHead
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by avi8tor4life View Post
Remember that your union negotiates ONLY with YOUR company. They have nothing to do with who does the flying just How it will be done.
Alpa is a tool. Anyone can purchase that tool the same as any other tool. Who ever buys that tool puts it to use as they see fit. One person uses it to build something, one uses the same to destroy something. So what's the tool for, building or destroying?

Let's also remember that the union is not to blame for a lot of stuff. We are! The MEC only had power from the line pilots. We can sit here and **** and moan about how they messed up but still we are the ones to vote them in and vote on issues the effect us. Don't blame. Get involved and actually make a difference.
I think many peoples' gripes with ALPA National is that they don't provide any pushback or guidance as an organization. ALPA will happily take on a pilot groups' dues and in turn tell them that they need to get involved.

While I'll agree with you that ALPA is a tool that is only as useful when it is adequately used, I have to disagree with you that all the responsibility lies within the each individual pilot group.
Where was ALPA National when scope was being farmed out?

Where was there stance on that?

How come they didn't threaten to expel a pilot group that was willing to trade a a short-sited pay raise in exchange overall long-term industry longevity?

I have an assumption as to the answer for the third question, and I believe that is because ALPA National will happily take dues from ANY pilot group without any type of preconditions.
If a pilot group sprouts up tomorrow willing to fly any jet for a fraction of compensation or work rules that other pilots struggle under, will ALPA still happily support this group as their growth comes at the demise of another?
Speaks volumes for unity doesn't it???