View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
tatin12
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Default writing letters

I actually did write a letter to the board as soon as I found out about this entire mess two days ago. The good news is that process is tremendously easy because it was all done online. I spoke to someone in the promotions office before sending it just to get an idea of what to write. She said that I really didn't need to spend much time on it...just explain the facts. Let them know that I am being hired by a unit, etc. She said no need to get a letter from the unit (which they offered to write) because you can only provide letters from yourself.

I mentioned that I would provide my contact's name and number in the unit. She said don't bother...we won't look into it or call with 1100 IRR files to review. I did this anyhow. She also said I shouldn't spend much time on the letter because only 1 out of 1100 of us on the list will get promoted so it really won't be a big factor. I am honestly wondering why she encouraged me to write the letter at all.

So, yes, my letter is in my file (called to confirm that as well) but, no, it won't make a difference. I figured it couldn't hurt.

My only real hope here, as far as I can see, is to call ARPC tomorrow morning first thing and see if there is any way I can get off the IRR immediately so that when the promotion board reviews my file this week they will see I am off. The chance of that happening is very, very slim but still worth a call particularly because there has been confusion on the date that my IRR should end anyhow.

The second option, if that doesn't work, is to pursue the record change (BCMR) process after the fact. I can attempt to use all the confusion surrounding my IRR termination date (which is their fault and in error on my DD214) to make an argument that I was led to believe I shouldn't be in the IRR, and thus, shouldn't have met these boards in the first place.

If that stuff doesn't work then it is time to look into waivers and other branches. I have no problem with that. Someone mentioned that and I think it is a good idea. How does that work in terms of being "passed up" twice? Would they ignore that in another service? Would I be promotable there?

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate all the comments. I know others have dealt with this and maybe some have succeeded. Any ideas to work this out are welcomed.