View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 AM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by tatin12 View Post
Well, I think I unbelievably have good news today. I called ARPC first thing and said, "i'd like to resign my commission on the IRR. I need it to happen now, right now and please pass along the word to the Promotions section, ASAP. They are planning to pass me over today and that can't happen or I can't join a guard unit." From there, the woman on the phone had me fax in a form and made the whole thing happen. I know for a fact there was some confusion surrounding my Reserve Termination Date....but she never said a word...she just processed the whole thing.

I spoke directly with the Promotions section and they claim they received the Discharge Order (which I have too) and deleted my file from the board. Now I'm just waiting for some sort of written confirmation that I won't face the board just to have in case this ever comes back to me. Outside of that, it appears as if I may have dodged a massive, nasty, ridiculous bullet.

I did have to resign my commission...but sounds like now I will just need to be reappointed once a unit hires me. Anybody know how difficult that is?

Thanks to all for the comments.
I hope it all works out for you. I will tell you that I separated from active duty and waited to get into the reserves. I knew I was going to go, I waited for the perfect job to open up. My recruited begged with me to go to a place holder job until then. I said no and full up separated. HUGE mistake!

Getting back into the reserves was the single most painful experience in my military history. I had to do everything all over again especially all of the physicals even though my "active duty" medical records were sitting on the shelf 10 feet away. And they held me to the same requirements that I had when I was in college.

Whatever you do, start working on getting back in right now. Do not wait. It took some of my friends one full year to get back in. I had to do the process twice ... yes, I did not mistype. TWICE !!! All because someone on active duty coded my DD214 incorrectly. I was in my reserve unit for a couple of months, drilling etc., and then the bad news came that I was never officially gained into the USAFR. So we had to do ALL of the paperwork and medicals all over again.

Good luck.