Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

It is nearly impossible to predict.

Safe estimate (using current industry) is that you would likely CFI until you hit 1000+ hours. That could take realistically close to 2 years. After that if you got on with a regional it could take give or take 3-4 years to get to the left seat. Once you got to the left seat it could take a few years to hit 90K. You may not make it to 90K at the regional before getting on with a major...then you start over. At a major it could be 3-5 years before you hit 90K and then depends on which major you worked at. None of this factors in getting furloughed which starts the clock all over again.

Basic math under this relatively best case scenario is that it would take 10-12 years going the major route. If you stayed regional it may end up closer to 8-10. A regional is no place to spend a lifetime since current markets show that most will not exist in the same form that you were hired into in 20 years.

I hit the timing pretty well and it will be around 8-9 years before I get to 90K. I will come close years 6-8 but that is not looking at minimum guarantee, it is looking at what I actually credit.

These are far from perfect numbers but I think most here will not argue that these are realistic +-2 years on either end. Some have been at it professionally for 15+ years and are not at 90K yet while my cousin left the military after 6 years straight into Southwest and was at 90 in a little over a year.