Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Airfix
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Cub,

The decision for me is quite complex as I'm sure it is for everyone. I think if I was in a company that respected their engineers, didn't work them to the bone, committed to realistic schedules and provided career growth I might not be at the airlines. This is the main reason I am going back.

Working 60 hour weeks including weekends gets old after a while and there are no other aerospace engineering companies close to where I am. I like where I live but I cannot see myself spending another 20+ years at this desk with this company so I needed an out. I'm also at the top of my pay grade with only the only place to grow would be management but I like the engineering too much to be a manager.

The other key part of my decision is that I am about 80% confident I'll still be able to contract engineer at my old company while flying without having to deal with the day to day management debacle. That will keep my engineering head sharp and some pennies in the pocket.

If I don't go back to flying now then I close the door for ever on that big shiny jet I've always wanted to fly, but the engineering door will always be open for me.

Lunch over - back to the drawing board!