View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
aviatoralex
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Smile

Even though I am only 15, I have been planning my future as well, but don't take it for granted, this is just my opinion.

1) I would definitely recommend going to a University to study and not just do everything online so you can experience the campus life, make friends, party and study at the same time.

2) I am confident, yes.

3) If you are enrolling in the 150 day fast track program, you will have NO TIME. Also if you go to ATP take your written exams before you go!!

4) A University degree is not required for the regionals but will make you more competitive with their standards as most applying for them do have degrees

5) Everyone has his own opinion, here is mine.
Computer Science will not make you competitive when you get furloughed, 5+ years later. Technology is always changing and if you are not updated and having been in the workforce for so long.. I would call it wasted time.
Something like business might be a better idea. I would pick one of these options

- Get your PPL now, start college and in the first summer in between your freshmen and sophomore enroll in the ATP 90 day fast track program. After that instruct part time at an FBO while in college because you won't be able to get a job in ATP while busy with studies.

- Start flight training at an FBO or right after you finish if you are too busy, and plan on finishing at the MOST on the first two years and instruct the rest of the time. You should be out of college with plenty of hours and if not, you can always keep instructing.

- Finally, this option might and might not be suitable for you.
Even though people say an aviation degree is useless because you won't be able to do anything after being furloughed or losing your medical, so will a BS in any other field after such a long time. You have to enjoy the classes you take in college! Now, after the new 1500 rule no flight school will give you that many hours but via an aviation degree airlines lower their standards when hiring. This is adapted from the ASA hiring page:
Selection Process:

We seek candidates with 121 experience. However, candidates without 121 experience will be considered, especially graduates from a major aviation university and applicants with advanced jet training or experience. Multi-engine helicopter time counts as total time after the 50-hour MEL fixed-wing requirement.
You get all that when going to an aviation university! Also, aviation universities work through networking and some even get you a guaranteed interview with an airline! Don't take what they say here for granted! Do your own research!

Good luck!!

Alex