View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by CANAM View Post
There will never be a shortage for well paying jobs!

As people get older and retire, every industry "should" begin to feel a shortage. What confuses me, is that if people are dying off as they get older, wouldn't that mean less passengers flying and therefore less aircraft flying?
Catch 22 eh?

Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
forgot to bid,

This guy is more interested in being right than he is in having a conversation where everybody inputs what they know. You stay pretty informed (read AWAST). I tend to lean toward what you are saying. Add automation but keep one guy in the cockpit as the backup. Not what I want but from all I have read that will be the next step.
It's not what I want. I love that a 777 requires 4 pilots most of the time. At DAL alone you could probably cut 500 people off the ER if this technology landed in the planes overnight. None of this seems to be forecast to occur in less than 10 years but honestly, some upgrades to downlink capabilities and satellite communication and I could see someone pushing for ULH flights with just 2 pilots. That could be the wedge to open to single pilot ops.

If there is a pilot shortage I fear the money won't go as some hope to increasing salaries to attract better pilots but to outsourcing a pilot to computers.

Either way, the technology sure seems headed that way and with Embraer making it public and FedEx hinting at it, it seems plausible. Go back 5 years and there wasn't an iphone, now look. Sure Gearjerk and those in his field have seen whats coming down the pipe on the DOD side of things and applying that to civilian markets doesn't seem far fetched. imho.