View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Panzon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

During October, 2010, I called several of the smaller float operators in SE Alaska. These were outfits that experienced Alaska commercial pilots had identified as being particularly good operators. Without exception, they said they would only consider pilots with considerable float time and Alaska time. Desired hours ranged from 1,000 to 5,000. However, during the conversations it slipped out that they can get insurance for and have hired pilots with less experience. All of them suggested that I visit Promech and Taquan and apply for ramper positions.

In subsequent conversations I learned that there is a precedent for rampers to work their way into a pilot position, and that it can take two years.

My reading of the situation is that a candidate needs to make a face-to-face visit and really sell himself: resumes and phone calls alone are not sufficient.

Finally, captd2000 should be reminded that the forum section is labeled "Part 135 Commercial Operators," so the inquiry was posted in the right place, and that the descriptor "Airline Pilot" encompasses a broad range of flying jobs.

Eric