Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Recomended route to float 135 flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default Recomended route to float 135 flying

Greetings -

I am not interested in becoming an airline pilot, so that being said I would like some recommendations on the best route to landing a float 135 positions.

Currently working on my CFII / MEI which will be done end of March and will add on my float and tailwheel in April/May. I am indeed lowtime career changer getting back in the game.

Kenmore - are they hiring CFI's? Likely to get much time?

Any others to consider? Caribean, Alaska, Hawaii, whereever is not out of the question.

Please respond if you have worked/flown in this arena. I know its low pay/etc.

Thanks!
Travis
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: UAL 2172/ 1437

I would recommend a different forum, one not titled Airline Pilot Central.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Travis

I have known some pilots that did dock work in Ketchikan for one season, then came back the next season as DHC-3 pilots. Try and get as much float time as you can, but coming from the people doing the hiring its all about the right attitude. Check out Promech and Taquan Air in KTN. Bring your 29er there are good trails on the north side of town.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Line Holder

Obviously the challenge is to get float time. Pretty hard to do if you don't have a float plane. There are only a couple of places in the US where you can rent a float plane. You could try to get a job instructing on floats but it's pretty unlikely anyone would hire you with no time. Even if you were offered an job instructing on floats I would recommend turning it down. Compared to wheel planes, float planes give you very little time to correct a students mistake. You really have to know what your doing or bad things will happen in a hurry.

One option is to go to work for a company that operates both wheel and float planes. If you fly wheels for them for a year or two and prove that your not a complete idiot they may move you into the float flying. I saw an ad for a company in Kodiak like that a few years ago. The job ad was for flying a 206 on wheels with the "carrot on a stick" of moving up to floats after a season or two.

Your goal is not impossible, lots of people have done it. It just ain't easy.
Good luck
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by gearcrankr View Post
Travis

I have known some pilots that did dock work in Ketchikan for one season, then came back the next season as DHC-3 pilots.
From Ramp Rat to Otter Float Pilot in one season? Only in America!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

During October, 2010, I called several of the smaller float operators in SE Alaska. These were outfits that experienced Alaska commercial pilots had identified as being particularly good operators. Without exception, they said they would only consider pilots with considerable float time and Alaska time. Desired hours ranged from 1,000 to 5,000. However, during the conversations it slipped out that they can get insurance for and have hired pilots with less experience. All of them suggested that I visit Promech and Taquan and apply for ramper positions.

In subsequent conversations I learned that there is a precedent for rampers to work their way into a pilot position, and that it can take two years.

My reading of the situation is that a candidate needs to make a face-to-face visit and really sell himself: resumes and phone calls alone are not sufficient.

Finally, captd2000 should be reminded that the forum section is labeled "Part 135 Commercial Operators," so the inquiry was posted in the right place, and that the descriptor "Airline Pilot" encompasses a broad range of flying jobs.

Eric
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Seaborne Airlines is hiring in St Croix. however Now that they have a wheel side, you must start with wheels and transition later to floats, it may take about a year or so. But you might look in that direction
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Buy a plane

Most of the guys who I flew with all had to buy a plane or get extremely lucky. Floats are cool and all but mostly useless when it comes to making a living. The guys I know who still fly floats want to get out but can't. It really is useless time unless you want to live in the bush. Even then you still don't make that much. I was offered a job flying floats in southeast AK a few summers ago. The pay was hardly more that what a two bedroom apartment would have cost me.

You could spend the next two summers working the ramp for nothing. Not worth it.

Oh yea, and you also could get yourself killed.

Skyhigh
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Originally Posted by tralika View Post
From Ramp Rat to Otter Float Pilot in one season? Only in America!
I stand corrected. I meant DHC-2 pilot. Beavers not Otters. Either way from what others have posted, you must show up in person. Do it soon-- tourist season picks up in May. Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by captd2000 View Post
I would recommend a different forum, one not titled Airline Pilot Central.
Which is why we have a sub forum called "part 135" smart a$$.

29singlespeed, Seabourne might be the way to go as others have said, they require ATP MES for captain, not sure what they require for f/o.
Part 135 flying can lead to a great quality of life, well done for not being fixated on the airlines.
Oh and by the way, singlespeed huh? big wheels too? We have gears for a reason man, I'll take the 27 or 30 speed Sram anyday.