View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Z_Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
LOL! This is great! I love reading the various attitudes about flying small vs large, 121 vs 135! Especially those that think they have what everyone else wants!

As for me, I flew 121 left seat (but it was little, so where does that put me?), and yet I came back to Alaska. I only came up here for one season in the first place. That was in 2004.

I have flown floats. What a blast! Promech was a great place to break in, and go broke! Love the job, but they have taken a page from the regional play book and will offer you peanuts to pursue your dream. Many there are now retired w/pensions (military and airline pilots working on their 'bucket lists'). They can afford it. There are a few that have made it into a career, by choosing wisely their operator, staying with them for a few years, not bending any metal, and working up to that elusive 300/day. A carrot not many realize.

I would still be doing it if I could afford it. Awesome experience that I would never trade for anything. To step back into time, spend your days delivering mail, medical supplies, pax and freight to villages living off their own resources was magical. The people you can make freindships with will last a lifetime. The attitudes of the 'survivor/entrepenuer' are cool to discover. If these things spark a fire for you, then you might have to go to the rainforest to quench it (SE Alaska is, by definition, a rain forest).

St. Croix was a close second. If you're right outta school, might be a great place to work up. VERY few places that you can fly MES aircraft. They are one. Maldives is through Ken Borek. Better get your licenses in Canukland before you talk to them. Be aware the locals are hostile, with both jobs. During my visit, there were few pilots I had talked with that weren't mugged or their apts cleaned out during their first two years.

Taquan is a great option, as well. I've heard good things from their guys.

The A number 1 thing is having a float rating, going there and shaking hands in March and April. That's when the seasonal hiring starts. Notice I said SEASONAL. That's what you're into here, so have a winter back up plan. I thought my experience was abnormal; very little float time and got a job. I found out that this happens more than you might think. At least that was the case a few years ago.

Good luck! Have fun! Get paid to get the Beaver Wet! LOLOLOL!

Ronin
Informative post, thanks for your input. Would you think that any of the operators out there would look at a furloughed guy? What's the protocol for getting the job? Showing up at their doorstep? Suit and tie, or khakis and hiking boots?

ZP