Thread: Contacts
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Patch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: B-737 FO

Originally Posted by GasNGo View Post
It looks like I'll be leaving the Air Force soon, with more than enough hours to be hired by one of the Majors. My one obstacle to being hired would seem to be my lack of contacts on the "inside". From what I have heard this is pretty much a requirement.

I'm currently scoping ANG units, where supposedly the references flow like the swallows at capastrano. My question is, for everyone else where did YOU meet your references? With enough hours can I get a job without knowing people at the airlines I'm looking at? (Delta being the primary.) I'm trying to get a job independant of the military and would like to get one before going ANG.

Didn't put this in the "military" section because it's aimed more at established airline guys who did it without the ANG crutch.

I was just helping a buddy with this very thing this morning. When I applied at SWA, I gave them 6 letters. Some guys/gals give more, some less... to each his own. Of those letters, only two were from SWA pilots. I picked the other four based on the length of our friendship/working relationship and their qualifications/positions in the AF. Stan Eval guys and Commanders are good bets. Airlines know exactly what those positions entail. Pilots you've flown in combat with and guys that have given you checkrides are all good bets.
Good luck.

Patch