View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

I am currently a captain at a respected regional
Generally, I would say you would be crazy to go to USAJet.

If you think you may lose your job, I would try to get hired at the majors or Atlas/Kalitta/Evergreen/Southern/Omni. Evergreen/Southern may not be much better than USAJet, but at least you will be getting heavy/intntl experience...or go for a decent corporate job (or UAV, if you are into that).

USAJet is better than Mesa, Gulfstream (FL), Great Lakes, and maybe Trans States. The "better" regionals are better than USAJet.

On the other hand, the new Flight/Duty/Rest rules going into effect before 1 Aug, will make USAJet a much easier place to fly. No more 24/7 indefinite reserve. No more 20+ hour duty days (for a two-man crew). No more 0200 callouts, with no rest, for a 16+ hour duty day, etc., etc. BUT, these new rules may threaten the Falcon 20 operation. The companies they fly for will have to be willing to pay a lot more for the same services. Just like everything else on Earth, no one knows what will happen.

From reading your post, I think you are anticipating a "Grass is Greener" type of situation, which it is not.

Also, you do NOT have to live in DTW. You will just need a crashpad near YIP.

Good luck!
cliff
ANC