TonyC
Organizational Learning 
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2005
  • Position
    Directly behind the combiner
Quote:
The 727-100 and -200 and -Valsan all land differently too. How hard can it be to realize that you are in a MD-10-10 and know that you don't let the throttles retard when they want too? It's not the space shuttle folks, it's an airplane.

Having flown the 727-100, -200 (and Valsan variant of the -200), and having flown the DC-10, the MD-11, and the MD-10, I can tell you that the differences in the 727s do not compare to the differences between the MD-11 and the MD-10.

In the 727s, you fly the exact same tail, with the exact same mechanics. Yes, there's an extra distance from the tail to the Center of Gravity, but the mechanics are the same. Yes, there's an extra distance from the CG to the cockpit, but the mechanics are the same. Yes, there's a different height of the cockpit above the ground, but the mechanics are the same.

Between the MD-11 and the MD-10, the mechanics are ... not ... the same. The yoke is positioned differently, at different rates, and with different forces. The yoke manipulates different tails. No, it's not the space shuttle. One's an airplane, and one's an airplane with a computer playing along.

Quick comment on Jetjok's observation. APC is as close as I know to an open forum where FedEx pilots can discuss topics of interest. There are a few others (and one that I prefer, but that's irrelevant), but this one seems to enjoy the best participation. I view this as a good venue for sharing information among FedEx pilots. Can you think of a better place to discuss the topic out of the view of "non-FedEx" pilots? I think this currently reaches the largest percentage of the target audience.