View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by APCuser View Post
Looking for help to remove all doubt on a couple of FAR questions:

I'm a military pilot getting ready to transition to the unfamiliar world of civilian flying. Here goes:

1. Reporting SIC time on an airline application. As far as I can tell from the FARs, SIC time can only be logged in an aircraft which requires 2 pilots. My doubt comes from the phrase "or operations requiring 2 pilots" which I came across somewhere.
You mean somewhere like the FAA regulation om how to log time?

SIC time can be logged when you are acting as the SIC and "more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted."

Keeping away from the usual safety pilot fight, there are situations in which the "regulations under which the flight is being conducted" requires more than one pilot. The one that jumps to mind the quickest is the Part 135 IFR operation with passengers (at least when there is no autopilot) - see 135.101 and 105.

But your question is what to report on an airline application. And only the airline application instructions can answer that questions with any certainty since employer flight time requirements can differ significantly from the FAA's.

In terms of your fighter trainer, I don't know, Does the type of flight, other than the fact that it's training, require more than one pilot? Yes, training flights require two people since without at least two, where's the training? But the reg is talking about required crew (which meet certain qualifications) and a training flight only requires one qualified pilot - the instructor.

2. ATP certificate. I got mine (AMEL) about 10 years ago but have never actually "used" it. My understanding has always been that a) it never expires and b) that's all I would ever need for any type of (AMEL) flying job in the civilian after-life. In other words, I thought the ATP lets you exercise the privileges of any "lesser" certificate. Is this true? If so, why does FedEx list Commercial pilot certificate with instrument rating and ATP as a required qualification?
[/quote]A pilot certificate never expires. And it lets you exercise the privileges of any lesser certificate. And in includes an instrument rating.

Why an employer is looking for ATP+instrument rating is a good question. It's like requiring "pants with legs." Unless, of course, some other countries issues ATPs without instrument ratings.

Last edited by NoyGonnaDoIt; 03-13-2011 at 06:02 AM.