View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by DAL 88 Driver View Post
No way to know for sure. Where would DAL have been if fuel prices hadn't spiked through the roof in 2008? What if we had done a better job at hedging fuel then? There are all kinds of variables that can affect the "bottom line." My point is that a happy, motivated work force has a VERY significant effect on the bottom line too. Unfortunately, that effect cannot usually be quantified. SWA understands this, it has been one of the real keys to their success over the years, and I highly doubt they would just throw it away. But you never know, Ed Bastian could become the next CEO at SWA and all bets are off!
Well that was kind of my point. You're a smart guy.. you know that SWA has done so well because they are a one trick pony. One jet.. one "service"... one destination (domestic only). Now they are running out of profitable routes with which to grow organically.. and they have to look outside the safety of Herb's culture.. and.. they have to start thinking about international. In case you haven't noticed, you cannot really fly to Asia or Europe in a 737. Point is, they have limits in what they can do in their present state. Their world has shrunk.. exponential growth that they have enjoyed in years past has come to an end. So.... now.. they are gonna see more and more competition in their backyard, and that is gonna take from their monopoly. Somebody in another thread was talking about fare being the bottom line.. guess what.. SWA ain't the cheapest anymore. They gotta compete.. and employees are an easy target when the going gets rough... it's a matter of time.