View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
There are many things that DPA has stated that make sense, but taking it to the next level is not just important, but crucial if they are going to be a viable voice for this pilot group. They need to address each and every issue, not emotionally, but logically. They need to realize that emotion may get cards, but it will not get someone to vote for them until they prove that they can do "better" that ALPA in a great many things.
Classic case of whistling past the graveyard. These 2,300 cards are not just cards, they ARE votes. I'm sure there will be some that may ultimately decide not to vote, but there will be just as many pilots to vote for the new union even though they didn't sign a card. These cards thus far are not based on emotion, but your explanations are.

Each and every member owes it to their families and to their fellow pilots to weigh DPA's merits on every issue, or service they purport to offer against ALPA.
Agreed. But you ALPA supporters need to do the same and give the DPA a fair look. One based on logic, not a misguided love affair with a union that has already moved on from you.

Emotional arguments and points feel good, but generally do not accomplish the desired objectives.
Emotional arguments don't feel good. No pilot I know has any patience for emotional based discussions.

To date, all of the conversations I have had with my fellow pilots that seek an alternate association, fail to come remotely close to selling the idea that DPA will do better that DALPA.
You're in love acl. There's no way you can see past it...no matter what your fellow pilots tell you to sell the idea of a pilot union run by Delta pilots for the betterment of only Delta pilots. You're asking too much of anyone to try to sell a man away from love.

It would be wise for ALPA and DPA to listen intently to what the pilots are saying, and then realize that what the Delta Pilots want is; an Association that defends their contract, both to the company and to the World, a agent that is their voice, and carries their objctions and demands forward.
Precisely correct. So the question is: Why is DALPA just realizing this now...but still doing nothing about it? Why did it take a DPA to do what they should have been doing all along? And why is over half of their questions asked during Wilson polling about the DPA?

ALPA needs to do better on some level,
Yeah, whatever that level is....eh acl?

and DPA needs to realize that selling anger does nothing to solve the problem except to constantly identify it.
As you've already established, DPA will not get any support if they only sell emotions. 2,300 cards is proof that they are selling logic and clear evidence.

Carl