View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Godzilla
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Great Cornholio View Post
So a few ATC'rs fall asleep and within WEEKS they get an hour added to their min rest. No one died in any of the sleeping controller deals. More than 2 years ago 51 people DIED due to tired pilots, yet we do not have new rules yet.

I'm watching TV and the news has the ATC union and sleep experts saying that the controllers need more rest rules, and that they need to have circadian cycles taken into account and have less swapping from day to night shift for controllers. My question is why on earth aren't ALL of the pilot unions standing beside the ATC union with the sleep experts pushing for better rest rules for all of us on both sides of the radio??? This would be the perfect time to add the extra push to get these rules through and actually change the proposed new rules that allows us to fly more but end up less tired somehow.

Sorry for the rant...it just seems like a super huge missed opportunity for all pilot unions to push for a change.
I have been thinking the same thing.
The difference is controllers are paid by the taxpayers so the government does not mind increasing controller costs.

IMHO