Thread: Part 135 XC
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Planespotta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Dream within a dream

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
It's point-to-point flight time where the second point is not the first point. There are no distance requirements.

Ex 1. A to B distance 49 miles = .7 hours
Ex 2. Lengthy pattern work at A including trip to practice area 10 miles away = no credit
Ex 3. B to C distance 5 miles = .3 hours
Ex 4. A to A with no landings any other airports, distance 724 miles = no credit
------------------------------------------
total Part 135 x-cty time: 1 hr

This is why CFIs always try and get at least one landing in at a second airport whenever they teach students. By doing this they get a massive amount of free Part 135 cross-country time even if the second airport is a mile away.
Thank you for your response. However, can you please re-read and answer my specific scenarios? By your definition as the "second point not being the first point," that seems to contradict the traditional "departure airport" scenario where the airport you are originally leaving is the only one that counts as the departure airport.

Simplified, if I take off, land at another airport once, and then come back to the airport I took off from, and the whole flight is 1 hour, do I only count the .5 to get to the second airport as 135 XC or the entire 1 hour as 135 XC?

Secondly, if I take off and fly .5 to another airport, do .5 in that pattern, and then fly .5 back, what portion(s) of that flight are loggable as 135 XC?

Thanks!