Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Default To all CA/FO can you quantify trip/duty rigs?

To all CA/FOs this is a tough question but can you help quantify the value of AW's rigs?

I know it gives Ops the incentive to setup more efficient trips but from a pay perspective what increase in credit hours (on average) have you seen versus if the company didn't have rigs?

I'm assuming it can't be more than 10% additional credit hours attributed to rigs?
53driver is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
To all CA/FOs this is a tough question but can you help quantify the value of AW's rigs?

I know it gives Ops the incentive to setup more efficient trips but from a pay perspective what increase in credit hours (on average) have you seen versus if the company didn't have rigs?

I'm assuming it can't be more than 10% additional credit hours attributed to rigs?
There’s no way to know how they’d construct the trips without the rigs. They’d likely be worse but it’s not something you can accurately quantify.
DarkSideMoon is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 100
Default

trip rigs: force a minimum level of efficiency to be built into our lines.

Duty rigs: you get paid when a light credit day goes really long due to weather, maintenance, etc.

I’ve credited over 10 hours for less than 1 hour of block thanks to a combination of being on critical pay and a really long maintenance delay. It doesn’t happen often but it does happen.
CanWeGetTheLeft is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #4  
Banned
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
There’s no way to know how they’d construct the trips without the rigs. They’d likely be worse but it’s not something you can accurately quantify.
I agree, trips are very likely to degrade, however can they possibly get any worse? The way I see it, look at all of the opentime, there is a high demand for planes to fly. Although rigs shouldn’t impede the pilot group to get a raise as well as up to date work rules to improve QOL by fighting against current practices in today’s environment.
Greensideup is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensideup View Post
I agree, trips are very likely to degrade, however can they possibly get any worse? The way I see it, look at all of the opentime, there is a high demand for planes to fly. Although rigs shouldn’t impede the pilot group to get a raise as well as up to date work rules to improve QOL by fighting against current practices in today’s environment.
You mean you don’t like an uncommutable show on day one with five legs, two legs at min day on days two and three and then an uncommutable five leg day four? /s

The trips have gotten better but I still can’t quite figure out why we’re basically idle on days two and three.

I’m glad we have the rigs but honestly I don’t think they come into play as much as we’d like and I don’t think they’re a good reason we aren’t getting raises. There’s an argument to be made for our insurance being worth a high hourly amount but I don’t buy the rigs being that valuable. I’d be way ahead this year if we had Skywest’s 4:12 min day instead of the rigs.
DarkSideMoon is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #6  
Porco Rosso
 
ninerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
You mean you don’t like an uncommutable show on day one with five legs, two legs at min day on days two and three and then an uncommutable five leg day four? /s

The trips have gotten better but I still can’t quite figure out why we’re basically idle on days two and three.

I’m glad we have the rigs but honestly I don’t think they come into play as much as we’d like and I don’t think they’re a good reason we aren’t getting raises. There’s an argument to be made for our insurance being worth a high hourly amount but I don’t buy the rigs being that valuable. I’d be way ahead this year if we had Skywest’s 4:12 min day instead of the rigs.
Isn't a twelve-hour last day a standard tactic in the regionals? There's no concern if they need to extend you, because they don't have to save your extension for the next day. Also, you probably didn't use your extension on those min days in the middle.
ninerdriver is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: CRJ9 CA
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerdriver View Post
Isn't a twelve-hour last day a standard tactic in the regionals? There's no concern if they need to extend you, because they don't have to save your extension for the next day. Also, you probably didn't use your extension on those min days in the middle.
I'm Mesa and I have to give props to our scheduling. Most trips are commutable with over half starting later and ending earlier. They are starting to put long turns at the end of a 4 day but there are plenty with short ones as well. A typical 4 day credits 19.5 to 22 hours. Rarely is there a 5 leg day but they do happen. This is on the CRJ AA side. Cannot speak to the UA Ejet side though my friends tell me they have better schedules than us.
pangolin is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #8  
Banned
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
You mean you don’t like an uncommutable show on day one with five legs, two legs at min day on days two and three and then an uncommutable five leg day four? /s

The trips have gotten better but I still can’t quite figure out why we’re basically idle on days two and three.

I’m glad we have the rigs but honestly I don’t think they come into play as much as we’d like and I don’t think they’re a good reason we aren’t getting raises. There’s an argument to be made for our insurance being worth a high hourly amount but I don’t buy the rigs being that valuable. I’d be way ahead this year if we had Skywest’s 4:12 min day instead of the rigs.
The rumor I’m hearing that came from management the airline could produce better schedules but it would cost them nearly 2 million dollars for the Sabre upgrade.
Greensideup is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #9  
Banned
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 35
Default

Improving our schedules are 100 percent possible.
Greensideup is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Hires - Bases and Reserve Time NoRegrets ExpressJet 349 07-29-2019 09:15 AM
Endeavor Latest and Greatest 3.0 musketeer Endeavor Air 759 12-06-2018 09:00 AM
Avg Calendar Day, LOS approved aa73 American 432 02-25-2018 02:12 AM
Trip/duty rigs BIueSideUp Career Questions 2 11-18-2015 02:54 PM
Rigs Sniper Major 0 12-14-2007 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:15 AM.