Notices

Good Bye Amazon

Old 05-28-2024, 08:06 AM
  #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Position: 73 FO
Posts: 9
Default Good Bye Amazon

What do you all expect is going to happen with the removal of 737 and 767 fleet for amazon?

People currently in the training program?

Recently upgraded captains?

First officers with R-ATPs?

They are phasing out by mid 2025, will they train from the bottom up or the most senior guys first?
Wileyman is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 08:34 AM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Clue32's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO
Posts: 856
Default

Originally Posted by Wileyman View Post
What do you all expect is going to happen with the removal of 737 and 767 fleet for amazon?

People currently in the training program?

Recently upgraded captains?

First officers with R-ATPs?

They are phasing out by mid 2025, will they train from the bottom up or the most senior guys first?
There is a displacement process defined in the CBA. Hopefully retirements and resignations will capture most of the excess. Definitely a hiring slowdown should be expected.

We know about 8 new Jets, who knows what business is now available to be pursued with the available crews.
Clue32 is online now  
Old 05-28-2024, 08:46 AM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OKLATEX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B767 FO
Posts: 423
Default

Hate to hear about the uncertainty that this may cause your company and pilot group.

Just curious, how much flying, does Atlas do for Amazon, and how much of it is on the 73 and 76?

Good luck!
OKLATEX is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 08:55 AM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
l1011's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2009
Posts: 256
Default

Per call aircraft exiting fleet
17 -767
8-737 (Entire 737 Fleet)
l1011 is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 09:08 AM
  #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2022
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by LAXtoDEN View Post
I hope thatís sarcasm. Atlas is a cockroach cargo operation. Very similar to Mesa in many ways.
My what kind words.
SealingStemBolt is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 09:41 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OKLATEX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B767 FO
Posts: 423
Default

Originally Posted by l1011 View Post
Per call aircraft exiting fleet
17 -767
8-737 (Entire 737 Fleet)
Thanks for the info. Again Good luck.

Originally Posted by LAXtoDEN View Post
I hope that’s sarcasm. Atlas is a cockroach cargo operation. Very similar to Mesa in many ways.
In my personal life and in my 25+year career as an airline pilot, I've never celebrated anyone's misfortune. Regardless what they do for the company, pilot, non-pilot, it's important to them, it matters to them.

I'm well aware the ACMI world is competitive. I've an ex-regional/LCC myself, so I get the game. All the Atlas people I've come across seem like good people. Same for the Mesa people.

Now, my opinion of the likes of people such as Frank Lorenzo, Carl Icahn and Jonathan Orstein, etc are totally different.
OKLATEX is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 09:47 AM
  #7  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2022
Posts: 71
Default

Personally, I think it's all going to be fine. It'll take a combination of more new airplanes, attrition even if it's slightly reduced than years past, and maybe some creative stuff like offering stuff like reduced flying lines. Consdiering Atlas has been consistently limited by pilot hiring/retention it will be interesting to see what the company can do with a bunch of available pilots in one hand and a near-unlimited amount of money (Apollo) to buy aircraft in the other.
SealingStemBolt is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 10:17 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Posts: 992
Default

I've got a buddy waiting for the 777 training suppose to be starting in a few weeks. Do you guys know how that will affect him, if at all?
BunkerF16 is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 10:41 AM
  #9  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 6,513
Default

Originally Posted by LAXtoDEN View Post
I hope thatís sarcasm. Atlas is a cockroach cargo operation. Very similar to Mesa in many ways.
what a douchebag.
dera is offline  
Old 05-28-2024, 10:45 AM
  #10  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 6,513
Default

Originally Posted by SealingStemBolt View Post
Personally, I think it's all going to be fine. It'll take a combination of more new airplanes, attrition even if it's slightly reduced than years past, and maybe some creative stuff like offering stuff like reduced flying lines. Consdiering Atlas has been consistently limited by pilot hiring/retention it will be interesting to see what the company can do with a bunch of available pilots in one hand and a near-unlimited amount of money (Apollo) to buy aircraft in the other.
This.

The Amazon flying is quite a few airframes but the utilization has been woefully low, and the staffing levels Amazon has required had been ridiculously high. Its no secret we have been losing a lot of money every year from that flying, so getting rid ot it is a good decision.

From block hour perspective, the 8 new WB jets coming in this year will likely replace majority of the hours lost from the Amazon flying (777 and 747 fly 20 hours a day, 767 flies like 8). We will be heavy for pilots for a while but natural attrition will take care of that.

It sucks for the guys who live in CVG and enjoy the crazy QOL those fleets have provided, but for the company, this is a very good move.
dera is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Grom1234
Military
822
03-16-2024 05:29 PM
PurpleToolBox
FedEx
67
12-04-2021 02:12 PM
HDGselect
Delta
89
04-10-2020 09:24 AM
whalesurfer
Cargo
22
03-19-2019 10:39 AM
mike734
Hangar Talk
6
12-25-2006 06:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices