Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > Breeze
Info on bases; seniority, routes, QOL, etc. >

Info on bases; seniority, routes, QOL, etc.

Notices

Info on bases; seniority, routes, QOL, etc.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:14 PM
  #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2021
Posts: 219
Default

I'd like to enter that chat with a hypothetical.

I see Breeze is still hiring DECs for the A220. I'm currently a captain at Spirit, just under 500 heavy jet PIC (the min Breeze wants for DEC). I live in NJ, currently commuting to reserve in FLL, although we should be getting a Newark base soon (I hope). Spirit continues to falter, with our management now saying as many as 70 planes may be parked next year. I had an interview with United a few months ago and they said no. I've been applying to AA and Delta and so far no calls.

If Spirit continues to falter and especially if I get downgraded, would DEC at Breeze be an unreasonable career move?

For consideration, how long to hold a line as a captain in BDL? What's the reserve call out time? I'm about a 3 hour drive to BDL. What's the breakdown of 1/2/3/4 day trips? Is there any schedule flexibility (can you drop/swap reserve days, etc)? I know of one person from my previous regional who's at Breeze, a Connecticut native, and I think he likes it.
BusBoi is offline  
Old 05-09-2024, 04:22 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
usmc-sgt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,958
Default

Originally Posted by BusBoi View Post
I'd like to enter that chat with a hypothetical.

I see Breeze is still hiring DECs for the A220. I'm currently a captain at Spirit, just under 500 heavy jet PIC (the min Breeze wants for DEC). I live in NJ, currently commuting to reserve in FLL, although we should be getting a Newark base soon (I hope). Spirit continues to falter, with our management now saying as many as 70 planes may be parked next year. I had an interview with United a few months ago and they said no. I've been applying to AA and Delta and so far no calls.

If Spirit continues to falter and especially if I get downgraded, would DEC at Breeze be an unreasonable career move?

For consideration, how long to hold a line as a captain in BDL? What's the reserve call out time? I'm about a 3 hour drive to BDL. What's the breakdown of 1/2/3/4 day trips? Is there any schedule flexibility (can you drop/swap reserve days, etc)? I know of one person from my previous regional who's at Breeze, a Connecticut native, and I think he likes it.
As an outsider with no connection to either, never.

Id no question sit tight at Spirit and keep applying to legacies. There is no upside to a lateral move to Breeze.
usmc-sgt is offline  
Old 05-09-2024, 09:39 PM
  #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 277
Default

Originally Posted by bonvoyage View Post
Did they mean a Breeze Captain made more than an AA FO? What did they mean, because thatís pretty far fetched. I can count on one hand the amount of pilots on year 6+ pay longevity. A large portion of the rest have been getting screwed at a lower pay rate for 2+ years now (yes itís changing finally since we are going all A220 fleet). But hardly any Captain here makes more than $245 per hour and most are making around $215. Sure the pay scale says $280. But it would be years to reach that. The old contract at AA paid $278 for narrowbody and that doesnít include the 3% raise year after year. So they were getting closer to $300+ on the old contract. I love breeze and the people I work with, but youíre living in a dream if you think we are breaking the bank and have it good here. And I mean cheap as we offer a cheap product (bare bones airplane, no onboard screens, just preloaded entertainment). Itís not like JetBlue that feels all inclusive. If any pilot at Breeze really believes theyíre cutting the line and going to magically get equal pay and treatment as legacy pilots, they are bat $hit insane!! It will take ALPA years to get us an Allegiant style contract. Have a reality check
Youíve got fast wifi, entertainment using your own device, youíve got food, new planes and direct flights bypassing hubs. Customer satisfaction and NPS scores are through the roof, not sure what in the world youíre talking about. Also I really hope we donít get an Allegiant style contract where we make 57 bucks an hour!
bluespoon is offline  
Old 05-09-2024, 09:41 PM
  #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 277
Default

Originally Posted by BusBoi View Post
I'd like to enter that chat with a hypothetical.

I see Breeze is still hiring DECs for the A220. I'm currently a captain at Spirit, just under 500 heavy jet PIC (the min Breeze wants for DEC). I live in NJ, currently commuting to reserve in FLL, although we should be getting a Newark base soon (I hope). Spirit continues to falter, with our management now saying as many as 70 planes may be parked next year. I had an interview with United a few months ago and they said no. I've been applying to AA and Delta and so far no calls.

If Spirit continues to falter and especially if I get downgraded, would DEC at Breeze be an unreasonable career move?

For consideration, how long to hold a line as a captain in BDL? What's the reserve call out time? I'm about a 3 hour drive to BDL. What's the breakdown of 1/2/3/4 day trips? Is there any schedule flexibility (can you drop/swap reserve days, etc)? I know of one person from my previous regional who's at Breeze, a Connecticut native, and I think he likes it.

Only you could know how bad it might get at Spirit. If itís bad then yea you should come over especially if youíre in the BDL area.
bluespoon is offline  
Old 05-10-2024, 10:45 AM
  #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2022
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by bluespoon View Post
Youíve got fast wifi, entertainment using your own device, youíve got food, new planes and direct flights bypassing hubs. Customer satisfaction and NPS scores are through the roof, not sure what in the world youíre talking about. Also I really hope we donít get an Allegiant style contract where we make 57 bucks an hour!
Snack boxes. Lmfao. Sure, we have plenty of snack boxes, help yourselves!! Amazing that you skipped every truth to everything else I said and picked in the food. Food (snack boxes) and internet, as long as you bring a device! We are certainly competing with Delta One.

lol. And flying over Dallas to go to Gulfport Mississippi! Move over airline industry, weíre coming through!!
bonvoyage is online now  
Old 05-10-2024, 11:32 AM
  #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2021
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by BusBoi View Post
Spirit continues to falter, with our management now saying as many as 70 planes may be parked next year. I had an interview with United a few months ago and they said no. I've been applying to AA and Delta and so far no calls.

If Spirit continues to falter and especially if I get downgraded, would DEC at Breeze be an unreasonable career move?

I know of one person from my previous regional who's at Breeze, a Connecticut native, and I think he likes it.
Alright this is just my opinion. I spent a few years as a breezyboi and my intuition was right most of the time.

I just had an AA recruiter on my JS. He said they will be hiring full steam ahead after the summer. This will be AAís biggest summer schedule ever! They needed all hands on deck. Youíll get called, specially if you have PIC.

I believe Spirit will be fine tbh. Going to breeze from spirit is a lateral move at best. If you were an FO maybe, but youíre already a captain. Youíre taking a pay cut and a QOL hit being at the bottom.

If you move to a base you might enjoy it , but from my experience Breeze is the worst airline to commute to. Worse than the regionals. When I left, my QOL was 10x better , even though I initially commuted. Now Iíll be upgrading next year and Iíll be making $100 dollars an hr more than when I left + 17% DC into my retirement. I have 25 years left. Thatís millions of dollars over my career. I also got into this for the travel, you canít compare the travel benefits breeze will offer vs the legacies (wife and I consistently get first class to Europe).

breeze is a good stepping stone but compared to established airlines, it only beats the regionals. As the legacies slow hiring overtime, breeze will have absolutely no reason to pay industry standard rates. You WILL always make less money than your peers. Azul A330 pilots are the least paid heavy group in the world, that was a title they earned and itís probably still true. I like DN, I believe he is mostly sincere , but he is a business man and he does not believe in rewarding the work horses. If I were you I would not leave spirit and gamble on breeze. Breeze is also dealing with P&W issues.

good luck!
Swapapotamoose is offline  
Old 05-10-2024, 09:28 PM
  #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 277
Default

Originally Posted by Swapapotamoose View Post
Alright this is just my opinion. I spent a few years as a breezyboi and my intuition was right most of the time.

I just had an AA recruiter on my JS. He said they will be hiring full steam ahead after the summer. This will be AAís biggest summer schedule ever! They needed all hands on deck. Youíll get called, specially if you have PIC.

I believe Spirit will be fine tbh. Going to breeze from spirit is a lateral move at best. If you were an FO maybe, but youíre already a captain. Youíre taking a pay cut and a QOL hit being at the bottom.

If you move to a base you might enjoy it , but from my experience Breeze is the worst airline to commute to. Worse than the regionals. When I left, my QOL was 10x better , even though I initially commuted. Now Iíll be upgrading next year and Iíll be making $100 dollars an hr more than when I left + 17% DC into my retirement. I have 25 years left. Thatís millions of dollars over my career. I also got into this for the travel, you canít compare the travel benefits breeze will offer vs the legacies (wife and I consistently get first class to Europe).

breeze is a good stepping stone but compared to established airlines, it only beats the regionals. As the legacies slow hiring overtime, breeze will have absolutely no reason to pay industry standard rates. You WILL always make less money than your peers. Azul A330 pilots are the least paid heavy group in the world, that was a title they earned and itís probably still true. I like DN, I believe he is mostly sincere , but he is a business man and he does not believe in rewarding the work horses. If I were you I would not leave spirit and gamble on breeze. Breeze is also dealing with P&W issues.

good luck!

What about JetBlue pilots? Are they the least paid narrow body pilots in the world? All we need is the DC and this place would be good to stay at. Pay was ok until Delta went up to 300 an hour for the A220. You come here for the schedules and seniority. Not sure how long it takes to have 18 to 20 off and day trips all month as a Captain at a legacy but it canít be as fast as here. Of course if you want to fly heavy international, big planes with higher pay rates, go to a legacy. But thatís not for everyone.

Last edited by bluespoon; 05-10-2024 at 09:53 PM.
bluespoon is offline  
Old 05-11-2024, 01:36 AM
  #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2021
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by bluespoon View Post
What about JetBlue pilots? Are they the least paid narrow body pilots in the world? All we need is the DC and this place would be good to stay at. Pay was ok until Delta went up to 300 an hour for the A220. You come here for the schedules and seniority. Not sure how long it takes to have 18 to 20 off and day trips all month as a Captain at a legacy but it canít be as fast as here. Of course if you want to fly heavy international, big planes with higher pay rates, go to a legacy. But thatís not for everyone.
They are not, does DN have any control on how much B6 pilots make? Because he does at Azul. Ask any JB pilot who was there in the beginning and they will tell you that DN had famously regretted sharing the company stocks with them, and was once quoted saying that he paid them too much. When I came to breeze I thought the stock was going to be dished out to all of us who were there from the beginning. That didnít happen. Listen man you obviously like it there , and thatís okay. To each their own , but someone whoís a Capt at spirit shouldnít be jumping ship to Allegiant 2.0. Breeze will always follow the allegiant model which is keeping the controllable operating costs as low as possible, the biggest one being pilot salaries 😉.
Swapapotamoose is offline  
Old 05-11-2024, 07:28 AM
  #19  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2024
Posts: 2
Default

Can anyone share what their monthly schedule looks like? Debating how rough commuting to BDL would be like initially. Any guesses how senior RSW may be?? Hoping TPA and MCO keeps it junior.
BusDrivrr is offline  
Old 05-11-2024, 03:10 PM
  #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2022
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by BusDrivrr View Post
Can anyone share what their monthly schedule looks like? Debating how rough commuting to BDL would be like initially. Any guesses how senior RSW may be?? Hoping TPA and MCO keeps it junior.
Almost all of the trips leave before 8am and return after 9pm. So you will commute in the day before, and commute home the day after. IF youíre a line holder. For reserve, enjoy 12 days off and no crashpads around an airport like BDL. TPA and MCO have crashpads because other airlines are based there
bonvoyage is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
31wins
Cargo
181
09-25-2007 05:17 PM
mike734
Major
15
09-17-2007 12:03 PM
ERJdude
Major
17
08-25-2007 07:23 PM
PinnacleFO
Regional
27
08-10-2007 08:06 AM
junior
Regional
7
05-08-2006 07:39 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices